Virginia is a Commonwealth and is divided into the following five regions:
* Ridge and Valley—between the Appalachian Plateau and Allegheny Plateau to the west and the Blue Ridge Mountains to the east. Sometimes referred to as Valley and Ridge.
* Shenandoah Valley—located within the Ridge and Valley Region it is referred to geographically—and culturally— as its own region.
* Blue Ridge Mountains—between the Ridge and Valley Region to the west and the Piedmont region to the east.
* Piedmont—between the Blue Ridge Mountains to the west and the Tidewater region to the east.
* Tidewater—between the fall line to the west and the Atlantic coast to the east it includes the Eastern Shore.
Virginia Beach is the most populous city in the commonwealth, with Norfolk and Chesapeake second and third, respectively. Norfolk forms the urban core of this metropolitan area. Fairfax County is the most populous county in Virginia.