2012 Bow Season

Home Forums Deer & Deer Hunting 2012 Bow Season

This topic contains 24 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wishinone April 8, 2013 at 11:08 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

We have been hovering around 65 to 70. No rain yesterday. Wyatt has been out every night. So far he has seen 1 buck and several doe. He seems to be bumping deer every night he comes out from the stand. Much cooler weather with the possibility of some snow this weekend for us.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Was out last night and had a nice big fat doe within 25 yards of the stand, but i just could not get a shot off. She stood behind a big tree and instead of stepping out from behind it, She turned to go up hill.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Saw 4 deer last night but got busted before I saw them. I really wasn’t paying attention as I was headed back to house in the rain.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Was able to get within bow range of a doe Sunday night while she fed on a logging road. Got busted by another doe I had no idea was there. All in all there were 4 doe in that group.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Well I f’d up last night. While on the ground stalking with my bow I came head to head with a nice buck. A pine tree separated us and there was no way to get a shot. He got wind of me I think by noise and ran up the hill into the pines, but he really wasn’t spooked. I decided to make a big circle and go on top were he went. Took me 2 hours to make the trip. As the sun began to fall I slowly made my way towards the point were the pines meet an old logged field.At about 60 yards in front of me there he stood staring towards me. I stopped and kind of kept my body tight against a pine tree with the bow in front of my face. I began to grunt at him and snort wheeze using my voice. After doing this for a few minutes he began to circle towards me to the left and he laid his ears back. His mood became more and more aggressive as he approached me. At one point he thrashed a sapling tree with his antlers. I kept right on him and became more aggressive with my snort wheeze.You could see the rage in his eyes. I couldn’t believe he kept coming. He got at 15 yards broadside of me and I drew back and let him have it. I heard a loud crack and he jumped and ran 20 yards and stopped and looked back like, WTF was that? I had time to knock another arrow, but by that time he ran across the pines another 50 yards and stopped again. I kept watching but he showed no signs of being hit. I lost sight of him as he went deeper into the woods. I found the arrow and I could see it had hit a tree that was behind him. I could see short hair on the broadhead and there was some,… not much blood on the arrow towards the fletching.it was getting too late to do any tracking so I went home and took Wyatt with me up there this morning. We found hair at the shot sight on the ground and blood were he stood the first time after I shot. Could not find anymore blood after that and we searched for 3 hours. The woods are pretty open up there so visibility really wasn’t an issue. I have no idea were the hell he went or if he is even dead. I don’t think I hit any vitals or even the gut for that matter. i really don’t know what happened. It was a very easy shot. the arrow completely passed through the deer. It was 6 or 8 pointer as Im not sure on his brow tines.

wishinone
    Participant

That sucks Cliff, I hate loosing a deer.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Not sure if this deer is even dead. Not to say he doesn’t get an infection down the road and then succumbs. You cant get an easier shot then the one I had. I have no clue on why I didn’t sink that arrow behind his left shoulder.

wishinone
    Participant

Went out yesterday morning and seen a good size deer about 70 yards out but could never see it’s head clearly, that was it for the morning. Back out in the afternoon and hunted a stand that’s been out for 8 years for the first time. I hear some kind of machinery working a few hundred yards away and was happy it stopped around 4:30, but soon I hear a 4 wheeler coming and it drives along a trail about 100 yards below me. It stops and the guys start up some equiptment there and are cutting wood and nailing away at whatever. I guess the spot is burned for me even though it’s on state land, I’ll take it down this weekend and try to find somewhere else to put it up.

wishinone
    Participant

Went to the movies last night and on the way home just down the road a big buck was chasing a doe, I haven’t got this guy on a camera yet but hope to hell I do. Went out this morning and saw a deer about 80 yards out at first light, I grunted and it came right in a fat six pointer, he gave me a nice broadside shot at 25 yards and I shot right over his back. he just jumped when the arrow hit so I went to grab a second arrow but he saw me pulling back snorted and took off. About ten minutes later he’s heading up the same trail when I first spotted him, he was interested in the gruntting but wouldn’t come any closer than 50 yards. Pheasant season opened today and shooting all over so I got my ass out of the woods pronto.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Thats too bad you missed

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.