2014 New York Spring Turkey Reports

Home Forums Turkey Hunting 2014 New York Spring Turkey Reports

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wishinone May 4, 2014 at 3:55 am.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Was out first thing this morning. On my way in I seen a butter ball roosted in one of the trees I passed by. Way too dark to see what it was and I didn’t want to spook it, so I snuck passed it without it busting off the roost. Pretty much all gobbling in the area came to a halt by 6:30 am. I was able to call in a hen and me and here went at for a while late morning. thought for sure I’d hear a gobble or have one show up, but nope, notta. Whistle blew at 12 noon and that was that.

My view this morning

wishinone
    Participant

Guys hunting on the estate I use to hunt called one in and missed it, that was it for their day.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

The birds are here but they are not coming in to the calls. I cant believe the groups of gobblers we are still seeing. The other night Wyatt seen 15 gobblers grouped up over the hill, with not one hen in sight. They are gobbling, but they just dont seem to be in it. Yesterday morning Wyatt got within 50 yards of 2 roosted gobblers in a pine tree. Instead of flying down to the logging road he was sitting on, they flew up hill. They were henless and responded to every yelp and cluck he made but chose to walk off.

On Friday I walked way back in on state land, only to find 3 other guys hunting way back in too. Areas I have always hunted without running into anyone before. Kind sucks.

wishinone
    Participant

My buddy Joe said he saw a flock of 30 plus birds this past week, they should be busted up for weeks now. Last year it was too warm in the spring and they basically were done breeding before the season opened, this year the winter was so cold they don’t know what the heck they are doing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.