2015 Connecticut Turkeys

Home Forums Turkey Hunting 2015 Connecticut Turkeys

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wishinone November 4, 2015 at 8:29 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

Coming home from work this morning I saw my first strutting gobbler standing in a snow covered corn field. The last two days I’ve seen two (sex unknown) turkeys dead in the road, season starts in another four weeks.

wishinone
    Participant

Preseason scouting hasn’t found many birds except for a good sized flock in the center of town eating under peoples bird feeders. Other than this flock I have seen two gobblers and two hens days and miles apart, I’ll find out next week if any are on the state land I hunt.

wishinone
    Participant

What a great opening morning weather wise, when I pulled into the parking lot three other trucks were there but one backed out and left which made things better. I heard one gobble early from very far away, no shots were heard until around 7 AM and they were all off in the distance also. At 7:15 I hear a jake gobble out in front of me on private property I call hoping to bring him running but a big boy sounds off behind me and he is hot. After 20 minutes or so I see the bird heading uphill I make a move when he crosses a stone wall, all of a sudden birds start putting and I can’t see them, the gobbler heads back downhill and I cut like crazy of the glass call and he stops and starts strutting and gobbling way too far away for a shot. All of a sudden a bird gobbles here then one there, the best I can figure is there was two longbeards and three jakes gobbling, I never heard a hen with them but they wouldn’t come back toward me instead they spend close to an hour on the trail below sounding off to me, woodpeckers and each other until the wind kicked in and that was it. Back at them tomorrow, I left my blind in the woods about 50 yards below where I was so I don’t have to set it up tomorrow.

wishinone
    Participant

Got to the parking area this morning and had the whole place to myself, it was still pretty dark so I took my time heading to my blind which I found flipped over and moved, guess it could have been the wind. As dawn broke the sky a few gobblers started to sound off, but nothing close by, all of a sudden I hear someone blowing an owl call over the hill on private land, made me not too happy. Birds are on the ground now and pretty vocal and some are getting closer, all of a sudden three shots go off and I figure missed bird and that’s the morning but no a bird is gobbling above me and below me. They work closer then father away up and down the hill and I can’t see a damn thing until 7:45 when I see a bird coming about 80 yards away below me, I hurry to close one window in the blind and open the back one for a better view. Well the bird has played the game before and spits and drums while strutting below me, I give two soft yelps and he’s fan down and on the way. When he was about 35 yards I drop the hammer on him and he folds right up until I went to pick him up and the feet and wings start going, his eyes are closed so I know it’s reflexes but I get scratched pretty good. Just over 20 pounds, nine inch beard and 5/8 and 3/4 inch spurs a nice two year old.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Way to go. Congrats. Didn’t realize your season was open.

wishinone
    Participant

Got to the parking area a little after 5 AM and as soon as I got out of the truck I heard birds gobbling, only problem was none were near by. I had the whole place to myself this morning which is no surprise I quickly made it to where I shot the gobbler last week and set up my blind. I had birds heading my way, all very vocal, a long beard out in front of me and another and a jake sounding off below me then it happened the real girls showed up and led the one out front away, some crows started sounding off and he must have replied to them 50 times a gobbling fool he was. The clouds moved in with a front and that was it, they just shut down, I stayed until after 9 o’clock and called it a morning. On the way home there was two long beards feeding in a cut corn field, will give it another go tomorrow morning.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Good luck

wishinone
    Participant

What a morning weather wise but not one peep from a turkey anywhere, I couldn’t believe it. I was in my blind and heard walking to my left but couldn’t see a thing, so I stuck my head out of the window and a buck with growing antlers was ten yards away, he wasn’t too thrilled so he snorted and took off and ran 50 or so yards where he stomped his feet and blew a half dozen or so times and then left the area. Got a few things on the honey do list so headed home early to get them done so I can go trout fishing tomorrow morning. On a side note I retired an old friend yesterday, my turkey vest was coming apart after over 20 years of use so I broke down and switched over to a new one I bought when I lived in VA, it has been sitting in the basement since I moved here 14 years ago.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

No bird activity here what so ever. Looks like it will be the worst year ever. Two mornings in a row I sat outside listing for birds to sound off at dawn break. Notta nothing. This morning I could hear hunters on just about every ridge surrounding me blowing their owl calls

wishinone
    Participant

Had a hunter ???? walking around blowing one this morning until 6:30, pretty sure it’s the same guy for several years now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.