2015 Deer Hunting Season

Home Forums Deer & Deer Hunting 2015 Deer Hunting Season

This topic contains 57 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wishinone December 22, 2015 at 7:47 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 58 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

Well I know I have three small bucks running around out back, I’ve gotten pictures of a doe with twin fawns on the trail cam back there but they have never come to the yard cam yet for some reason. Went out this morning to check a stand I haven’t been to in two years, I wanted to turn it facing the other way but the tree started growing around it and it wouldn’t move, I marked the trail to it with reflective tacks as it’s a pain in the butt to find it in the dark. I picked up some scent for my drip bottles and some of that deer herd scent to try this year, for what it cost I hope it works. I have one more stand to check on when we have another cool morning, also I’ll be using my ground blind in a few spots for the early part of the season. Hard to believe that our bow season opens in nine days.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  FNW Staff.

wishinone
    Participant

Went to check on a new hunting area this morning, it opened last year and I was in no condition to check it out then. Less than 10 miles from the house it has a lot of fields that are overgrown to beat hell, but a couple of good sections of hardwoods. I’m going back before the season opens with boots on and a can of tick repellent, the closed road I drove on is covered in high grass. http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/maps/maps_hunting_area/map9169.pdf

wishinone
    Participant

Checked out the new area this morning and couldn’t believe all the trails crisscrossing from the fields to the hardwoods. I’ll be hunting out of the ground blind here so I took a saw and clippers to clear some shooting lanes, was surprised to not have to, there are a lot of open spots out to 60 yards. I put out the new trailcam where two trails crossed, I’ll go back on Monday to see what if any pictures it takes. On the way back to the road I come across a tinks scent bomb someone left from last year, guess they were afraid of the woods as it wasn’t 30 yards in.

wishinone
    Participant

Day and a half to go, I have my deer cart in the truck, my backpack loaded, both Therma-cells working and broadheads on the arrows. Weather is going to suck for the week except for cool mornings so I plan to hunt behind the house Tuesday morning then head to the new spot for the afternoon plus hunt there the following morning as I will leave the blind up. Actually going to set it up tomorrow and hope nobody screws with it. I want this shot Tuesday morning, it’s 20 yards from the stand.

Attachments:

wishinone
    Participant

Pulled SD card from new cam, only got me and pictures of the woods, was hoping for more. Set the blind up between three trails crossing, spoke too soon about not having to trim the bushes there’s a big difference when I sit down in the blind. I went out back and pulled that SD card also and there’s a new boy in town but the twin bucks were not there at all. It may be a case of too much food for them right now, they even stopped cleaning up the apples and pears in the yard. The spike has polished his antlers, don’t think so for this new buck.

wishinone
    Participant

Very disappointing day, heard a deer grunt before it was light somewhere in front of me, at 7:15 I hear walking and a doe come right up to the stand and starts sniffing and sniffing (I’m using that deer herd scent) and then she just turned and walked back the way she came. This afternoon I went to a new spot on state land and found two other trucks in the parking area at 2 PM, one with NY plates and the other with FL plates, I walk the road and when I come around a bend I see a blind set up right in the road. When I get closer I see waving and wave back and walk up to the blind, there is a young very pretty woman hunting out of it, she tells me she seen four deer there in the AM. I tell her my blind is 100 yards down from hers in the hardwoods, we wish each other luck and I see nothing but a tree rat in the next four and a half hours. Back there again tomorrow AM just in case, then have to pull trail cam and blind as I will not get back there until next week.

wishinone
    Participant

Hunted yesterday morning at my new spot and didn’t see a thing in three hours, I walked down the trail and pulled my trailcam and not one picture on it. I don’t understand, heavy trails all over the place with acorns falling a couple of trails going through the fields are over a foot wide something had to make them this summer. Was invited to dinner last night so I couldn’t go out for the afternoon, wanted to go to Mono Pond this morning but was getting light when I left the house so I went out back and nothing showed up there this morning.

wishinone
    Participant

Had a doe with twins come by and about 15 minutes later I think they picked up another deer and went about 40 yards behind me and down the hill. That’s it until Monday, doctors tomorrow and fishing on Saturday.

wishinone
    Participant

Went to my stand on state land for the first time this year and found that some A-hole moved my reflective tacks and I had to wait for daylight to find the stand. By then the wind kicked in and I set there for three hours seeing only two tree rats. Went to Walmart to pick up a scent drip bottle, went back home put that, a bottle of scent, trimming schears and I thought a trail cam in the back pack, when I went to get the camera stupid me put the Therma Cell instead of the camera in the pack. I had no time to come back home for it as I was going out this afternoon, I was in the woods for an hour and hear walking behind me I see a big doe and other deer following. The doe gets close and don’t like me in the tree, she tried for a good 20 minutes to get me to move, she was broadside at 18 yards then again at ten yards but the other two deer were her fawns of the year and she kept kicking one away that wanted to nurse. Finally they walk off but that’s it for the hunt except for a hawk that landed in a tree next to me and checked me out.

wishinone
    Participant

Stayed home this morning to get a few things done around the house, this afternoon I went to a stand I’ve had on state land for 12 years now. First someone down the hill is cutting wood, not close but a distraction, then some youngsters are riding dirt bikes along the power line trails and last I hear something big coming and hoping for a couple of deer but it’s someone riding a horse about 70 yards away. Stayed until 6:30 without even seeing a tree rat, note to self just use this stand for morning hunts. Will be out elsewhere in the AM.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.