2015 Deer Hunting Season

Home Forums Deer & Deer Hunting 2015 Deer Hunting Season

This topic contains 57 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wishinone December 22, 2015 at 7:47 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 58 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

Went out to go to the stand I hunted Friday afternoon and when I pulled into the parking area there is two trucks there, first time ever seeing more than one and even that was seldom. Walk back toward my stand and after I cross power lines I start into the woods and before I go far someone is shining a flashlight at me, the sob is set up less than 40 yards from my tree stand. I cut down the hill and go back another hundred yards or so and stop and decide to wait until light and cut down the hill and follow a trail back to the power lines and out. Will be trying a new spot this afternoon, I set up my ground blind there yesterday along with a trail cam and drip bottle.

wishinone
    Participant

Calling for 20-30 MPH winds this morning so I didn’t bother getting up to go out. It seemed to die down this afternoon so I headed to the stand out back and son of a b if there wasn’t a deer bedded down by my stand, all I got to see was a brown butt and a white flag as it ran away. About 20 minutes later I have a fawn about ten yards in front of me, it looked at me, walked around a bit and ate a few acorns then slowly walked off. Two tree rats decided to climb the tree I was in and drop about 100 acorns on me, pretty sure I saw one of the little bastards trying to aim when he dropped one. Rain for the next three or four days, won’t get out again until after that.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  wishinone.

wishinone
    Participant

Went out this afternoon, the first time in over a week due to a death in the family, and the wind and the falling acorns drove me crazy. First the wind blows from the west, then from the south, it didn’t matter which way it blew all you heard was thunk, thunk and thunk all around. Nothing but a couple of tree rats until 6 PM, I heard a twig snap and see legs moving down the hill, soon more legs and deer are heading my way. Before it was over I had six does and fawns eating acorns all around me, some walked away then came back and ate some more then they all made their way down the trail. I stayed in the tree until I could barely see then made my way out of the woods, before that I had the crosshairs on all the does but not knowing what fawns went to what doe I just enjoyed the show.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Thats exactly why I didn’t go out yesterday. That wind was blowing from everywhere.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

I have been out everyday except for a couple ever since the season opened here in new York. So far it sucks. Where the hell are all the damn deer? I know where they are down on the flats at all the farms because there is no food in our woods. Farms i cannot hunt since they have others who do. The bad part is I have lost a lot of hunting land to hunt on and that has limited me to certain areas.

wishinone
    Participant

I guess HStrut Scent Away Max works, three times now I’ve had deer walking around me with the wind blowing right towards them. Yesterday afternoon I sat for 2 1/2 hours with only two squirrels seen, the sun was just about set behind me so I got up pulled my arrow and put it back in the quiver and was reaching for the cord to lower the bow when I heard something behind me. A doe jumped the stone wall and two more were coming, one a fawn of the year and the third was a yearling doe, the big doe kept her eyes on me the other two looked but didn’t care and started picking up acorns. The adult doe was on my side of the wall and walked down to within 8 yards of me then crossed the wall again to join the other two, I was able to sit back down with all three of them at feeding. They kept looking up the hill and the doe and fawn walked away, at about 50 yards she blew and they ran but came back and kept looking up the hill, all the while the yearling was under my tree. The doe blew again and all three ran, was getting dark so I never saw what was bugging them. On a side note a dang grey fox is walking the stone wall every night and getting down and rolling on the ground under my scent drip, I had a red fox do the same thing a few years back.

wishinone
    Participant

Pulled SD card from camera by stand and found out what was bugging them, a buck was checking out the mock scrape about 15 minutes after I left. Also got pictures of raccoon family, fox and fisher running the wall, heard yotes around 3 AM this morning but were not near by.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Haven’t been out since this past weekend. You’d figure with all the cold and snow we saw over the weekend it would have gotten things going.Nope notta. Then it warmed right back up with rain on and off all week. So I said screw it.

wishinone
    Participant

Wind has been killing my hunting, calling for 20 to 40 mph today, had the window open in bedroom and heard branch crash down during the night. A guy on another forum got pictures of two bucks fighting things should pick up soon I hope.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Not bad here at all with wind. Clear sunny skies now in the low 40’s and that should be our high temp for the day. Window open? Heck it was 30 degree’s here this morning.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.