2015 Deer Hunting Season

Home Forums Deer & Deer Hunting 2015 Deer Hunting Season

This topic contains 57 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wishinone December 22, 2015 at 7:47 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

Have to double check the area but I believe I found a great spot to set up my blind. Found some giant size scrapes in the area along with some smaller ones, only problem is having to bust through a bunch of briars to get to it.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Cut a trail. I always do.

wishinone
    Participant

I may cut a small opening but don’t want to draw attention to the area, am heading down now to make sure it’s state land, if so will put up ground blind, camera and drip bottle. Pulled SD cards from back had small rack buck at 4:30 this morning, don’t know if it was him but I found a huge fresh scrape not too far away. I don’t think the doe would be standing there if that fox was a coyote, got picture of a different buck checking out the mock scrape.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Th deer “experts” are saying between the 28th through Veterans day will be the time to catch daytime movement of the bucks in our area and that will be the peak of the rut for the Northeast this year

wishinone
    Participant

Several guys on another forum have pictures of bucks fighting in front of their trailcams, so it can’t be too much longer here.

wishinone
    Participant

Hunted new spot yesterday afternoon and it looks great, got 60 pictures in 30 something hours so pulled the SD card to check. Several bucks and does checking out the mock scrape and deer made one on each side of mine. Bluejays were carrying on to my right and behind me, I heard walking but didn’t get to see what it was. Just went out back to fill drip bottle and pull SD card from that cam and of course two deer were there snorting at me. Got a unicorn and a small four pointer, first time seeing them.

wishinone
    Participant

Deer were on the move this afternoon, had two doe and a fawn come down behind me, lead doe winded me and they went 40 yards up the hill and crossed stone wall, the fawn kept looking back. A little while later I hear something else coming from the same area, I couldn’t make it out but as I’m watching it I hear grunting and a buck is running down the hill along the stone wall, he stops and makes a scrape before chasing the first deer back and forth. I try to get the crosshairs on the buck but he hits the spot were the first three crossed the wall and takes off running after them. Can’t wait until Monday morning now.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Good deal. Might get out this afternoon myself

wishinone
    Participant

After going downstairs yesterday morning to get into my hunting gear I come into the yard and a deer is there, too dark to see what but it doesn’t panic and keeps just ahead of me as I walk into the woods. I blow and stomp my foot, then I snort wease as it slowly walks around in front of me, it finally runs when I start walking faster to get to my stand. Sat for a hour and a half before I see movement above the ridge, two deer work across and go out of sight. Back out in the afternoon to another spot and I end up having bird hunters running their dog back and forth behind me three times, so I see nothing there. Go home and find the wife all jumpy she feels something on her back and I find a wood tick blown up with blood. After removing it there is a big hole where it dug in, she’s already taking meds for Lyme disease so I put cream on it and tell her not to worry.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Going to be pushing close to 70 today. Yesterday was warm but towards evening they all came out to the fields to chow down. Seriously thinking of hitting the stand this afternoon. Wont be too many more days where I can sit in it with just a t-shirt.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.