2015 Deer Hunting Season

Home Forums Deer & Deer Hunting 2015 Deer Hunting Season

This topic contains 57 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wishinone December 22, 2015 at 7:47 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • Author

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Headed out yesterday around 11:45 am and couldn’t really decide where I wanted to hunt. It was dead calm for the most part so I just ended up not going far a ground hunted the afternoon. I sat just inside the woods that border an old farm field. I set up camp along a spring creek that runs off the hill above. I had pretty good visibility in all directions but yet had enough cover for me to get off a shot if I had to. I put out my Tinks wick and smeared the trees around me with Evercalm Deer heard in a stick. Boy does that stuff stink. Hours went by with me grunting along with some doe bleats thrown in. I also rattled a bit. I figured with bucks on the move and if there was anything down in the field, it would hear me for sure and come in for a look. By 3pm nothing showed up, not even a damn squirrel. So I decide to walk up and out to the fields edge. By now the sun was just beginning to go down behind the hill. Still had about an hour and a half of hunting time left, but my side of the hill was all shade now. The upper left side of the field must have been all shade all day long as evidence of the early morning frost still lay on the ground. About this time a small flock of grouse came off the hill to roost, but I guess I disrupted their daily ritual because they decide to go elsewhere for the evening.
    Seconds turned into minutes and minutes turned into an hour and a half, and before I knew it I was back down at the beaver meadow crossing over to head back to the house.

wishinone
    Participant

Saw nothing again yesterday afternoon, heading out now for the opening day of gun season, 27 degree’s no wind to speak of so should hear anything coming from pretty far away.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Good luck

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

This past Sunday I hunted the entire day out from sunrise to sunset. The early morning found me once again walking my cut trail to the bottom of state land. I slowly snaked my way up to state land and then walked deep back in. Found a fresh buck scrape on the main logging road that was not there last week. By 11 am I turned around and headed back off the hill and decide to go sit the afternoon in one of my tree stands. As I get just about all the way out before crossing the main creek, I make eye contact with a bedded doe. I’ll be a son-of-a-bitch if she wasn’t lying down in the same exact spot I stood at earlier in the morning for at least 15 minutes. She was right in the middle of my cut trail. In the thickest part of my man made trail I made last year after the beaver pond drained out. Within an eye blink she was on her feet and out of sight in two bounds. She totally caught me off guard and there wasn’t any chance of a shot with any type of weapon, bow or gun.

After a quick lunch at the house it was back out to my tree stand that is situated at the bottom of a steep hill in the valley down the road from the house. On the edge of yet another beaver meadow that was once flooded up. Lots of evidence of the deer crossing the area and a few good clumps of buck shit lay about along the trail I walk to cross the bog. By 1pm I’m in the stand. I notice right off the bat that my harness strap is a little too loose and needs be tighten up. So I stand up and adjust it to where it needs to be. It takes me a minute of or two to get this done. I turn around and sit down after it’s all adjusted and just happen to look to my right across the bog. I’ll be damned if a big ass doe aint standing on the same trail I just crossed looking up at me. She’s broadside with the sun shining on her winter coat. Not a damn thing I could do about since I’m a right hand bow shooter and she is about 80 yards from me. All I could do is watch and hope she doesn’t figure out what I am in the tree. We have a stare off that seemed to last forever but in reality it was only about 60 seconds. Finally she had enough and quickly trotted off not sure what I exactly was in the tree. She wasn’t real spooked but didn’t want to be where she was. She actually ran up along the creek and crossed over in front of me up above. That was it for deer sightings for the entire day. Believe it or not a black squirrel ran under my deer stand later in the day. As the sun set behind the hill the temps dropped like a rock so I was glad I brought my fleece jacket. For the whole day I got away with just a long sleeve camo shirt.

wishinone
    Participant

Should have know better, got to my parking spot at dark thirty and listened to the owls carry on, about 30 minutes later a truck comes down the road sees me and turns around and heads back up the road. I watch his lights go out and when I hear a door close I get out and start getting my gear together when I hear walking towards me, I say good morning and he replies you picked a bad f*cking spot to park buddy the deer cross there, I assume he’s just pissed because he wanted to park there. He cuts into the woods in front of my truck which is fine as I have to walk down the road to get to my spot. When I cut into the woods the guy if right out in front of me crashing and banging, I then see two other lights in the woods one about the spot my blind is at so I just back out go back to the truck and head home. I’ll hunt some bow only areas but I’m done gun hunting in CT, I haven’t done it for a few years now I remember why.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

That sucks

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

I can’t complain about the opening day of 2015 southern zone deer season. Seen more deer in one day then I seen the entire bow season. The woods and fields on the hill were filled with hunters for sure. With the number of cars and campers parked on state land, I bet there were at least 100 deer hunters sharing 1.200 acres. Lots of shooting all day but nothing like it used to be. Temps were fairly normal with a good hard frost to start off the day.

Within 15 minutes of me sitting down I heard something walking up the spring run. I see legs then a deer. That deer literally walked in right behind me and crossed my trail. It looked to be a doe as it crossed over the spring and headed up the opposite bank. The angle it was walking at was taking it away from me. It was walking towards the fields so I grunted with the call. Well it didn’t like that and picked up its pace. That’s when I saw a second one with it. They quickly moved away from me and without snow on the ground, I just couldn’t get a clean shot without hitting a tree. They sure as hell got jumpy after my grunt calling.

By 12pm I found myself above the fields on state land. I decided to sit just over the property line on the hill overlooking the field edge. As soon as I get settled in Wyatt calls me and tells me he is headed up to meet me since every spot he went too was taken. I said OK and within a couple a minutes he calls back and tells me there is a big doe in the field below me feeding under an apple tree. I told him to shoot it if he can get a shot. The deer was over 400 yards from him so he needed to get closer. Once he crossed over the ponds and got into the field he couldn’t find the exact tree she was under and never saw her again.

Before I knew it a doe came out of the field directly below and trotted up the hill right at me. She didn’t see me as I was hiding behind a tree. It was a yearling and not very big so I decide I wasn’t going to shoot her. I’ll be a son of a bitch if she didn’t come right next to me at arm’s length. As soon as she got next me I moved and scared the shit out of her. She ran and stopped at about 40 yards and looked back down at me broadside. She had no idea what I was. I put the cross hairs on her shoulder and again decided she wasn’t big enough to put a doe tag on. After that she just basically walked off on a slow gallop.

After about an hour I began to wonder what happened to Wyatt. He hadn’t showed up yet and should have. Then I heard something break through the ice in the direction he was coming. I could’nt believe he was so damn noisy coming up through. Minutes went by and still no Wyatt. Then after a while I saw movement coming through the brush below me walking along the field edge. I thought to myself, about freaking time kid. I was just about to yell out to him to let him know where I was when all of sudden, what I thought was him turned out to be a monster 10 point or better buck. I said holly shit and stood up. I easily had a shot at him but didn’t have the gun up because I thought it was Wyatt. Within a split second I had no shot because of the trees. I needed for him to turn and come up about 10 or 15 yards before I could lay down some lead.
    Seeing how big he was I laid into him with a mature buck grunt followed by a doe bleat. What I didn’t know was he was already tailing a doe. I didn’t see her and she ran down the field. Before I knew it he chased her and that’s when I saw a second buck with him just as big if not bigger. All the deer ran down the hill in field.

I figured this is why Wyatt has not shown up. He must have seen them and was stalking them. Another ½ hour passed and no Wyatt. Soon I seen orange coming at me and finally he showed up. I asked if seen all the deer and the big buck and his reply was what deer? He is just slow as shit I guess.

This concludes opening day. Could not get out this morning due to work that came in last night, that needs attention. Might get out in about an hour.

wishinone
    Participant

Your grandfather had a ten point or better in his yard the day before his trip last week, I’m going to put a trail cam on his apple tree for Wednesday night and see if maybe I can get a picture of him. Went to pull SD card from out back but no need, not one picture on it after three days and nights. Pheasant hunting tomorrow morning then will bow hunt in the PM behind the house.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

All I can say at this point is that this deer season so far has SUCKED!

wishinone
    Participant

Went to pull SD cards this morning and couldn’t find where I put a camera last week, when I did find it there wasn’t any pictures on it, the camera by the stone wall had 15 pictures in a week, all the family of raccoons going back and forth and the backyard camera had two does and a yearling about every third night. While searching for the one camera I came across an area all tore up with a couple of clumps of deer hair here and there, so I’m guessing two buck went at it there. I also found a fresh and tended scrape about 50 yards from one of my mock ones so somebody is running around back there. It’s 60 plus degrees right now, I’m going to get up in the morning and sit with the cross bow and see if anything is moving at first light.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.