A New Season

Home Forums Deer & Deer Hunting A New Season

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  FNW Staff December 8, 2014 at 3:44 am.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

To start my wife opened the back door this morning and startled a flock of turkeys feeding in the yard, the gun season opens for them tomorrow. On the trail cams I have pictures of three small bucks and a nice eight pointer, a forkhorn showed in the yard last night. I plan on sitting in a tree tomorrow morning and see what comes by, if something does I don’t know if I’ll be able to pull my bow back even though I backed it down to 54 pounds now.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

So did you get out? Windy and cold here today with some snow. Just got back in. Stalked up on a spike horn which I thought was a doe. I didn’t want to shoot him, so I just watched for a while and believe it or not the sum bitch decided to bed down right in front of me at 30 yards. So I waited and waited and then got tired of it and snort wheezed at him. he jumped a mile high and hauled ass out.

wishinone
    Participant

Sat in a tree for an hour and only saw a chipmunk run the wall, wife has a fit when she found out what I did. During the early summer it looked like there was going to be a bumper crop of acorns, then it got real dry for two months and a lot of them are empty of meat. So many of the adult does are still showing ribs from the bad winter last year, I hope it’s not so bad this winter with snow amounts.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Debating whether to head out now with the rain in the area. Was out yesterday afternoon. decided to sit in a spot after walking for a couple of hours. i was sitting on this stump over looking a gulley down below that a spring ran down through. Within a 1/2 hour I heard something behind me. i looked and seen a deer heading straight towards me. I didn’t move and then the deer made a slight right as it got closer. I knew once it got behind this big tree I would be able to swing around and get the bow pulled back. It got behind the tree so I made my move only to loose my balance and fall right back on the stump. the deer came around the tree and heard it and had his eyes locked right on me. It was a spike horn, with a pretty decent body. Thought it was doe for sure at first. I could tell the spikes were definitely under 3 inches which means my antlerless bow tag could go it. So no problem in taken him as I have a second tag for either sex for bow. Must have been last years fawn but this guy had some size to him. He was all alone. Anyhow we had a staring match go on for about 10 minutes. He was really curious and only stood at 10 yards broadside! I was covered in the evercalm deer herd scent and not once was this deer ever alarmed. No way I could pull back and shoot and figured he go back to feeding and possibly turn away from me with ass to me, which would have given me the chance to draw back. But nooooo, he decided to keep moving and moved in a way that it just wasnt going to work out. So I let him walk off.

wishinone
    Participant

Five of this years fawns in the back are button bucks, one is a brazen little bugger and will come within five yards if I’m standing still.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Never even saw a chipmunk last night! Oh well too much rain for tonight so Im staying in. did learn one though. I cannot pull the bow back in the game blind. No way in hell. So I took it down and pulled a Mick Dodge and stashed it up in a tree and will go back later to get it.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Put 8 straight hours in yesterday. Notta nothing. All the trees are bare now. Pretty beat up from yesterday so not sure if Ill go out this morning. We did get a dusting of snow last night.

wishinone
    Participant

Today is the last day of the second gun season here in CT, I never bought a license but don’t think I missed much as hardly any shooting was heard in the area. Black powder season opens Monday, but basically they are calling for wind and rain/snow storms all week. Pulled the SD cards from both cameras and surprised to see that seven pointer is still around, he was in the back two nights ago for awhile but not one buck picture in the yard camera which had 920 pictures on it.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Rifle ended last night for us. Now muzzleloader is open. Storm a coming here too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.