Bow Season 2014

Home Forums Archery Chit Chat Bow Season 2014

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wishinone October 18, 2014 at 10:09 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Got my buck all picked out for October. Will stray getting my hunting area ready within 1 week

wishinone
    Participant

I was tossing around getting a crossbow, but decided against it. Our bow season opens in five weeks, hard to believe.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

If I were you I’d get a crossbow, especially since they are now legal in NY. Ronnie got one and he loves it and will no doubt kill a deer this bow season with it.

wishinone
    Participant

Was shooting the bow in the backyard yesterday and a doe walked out and watches me, guess she knows she’s safe. I hope to hell this wind stops and that five pointer walks in front of my stand Monday morning, another season is upon us.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Good luck. Should be a chilly one. Tried to shoot my bow a couple of weeks ago and couldn’t even pull it back. Been shooting that weight for years. Had to crank it down 2 turns. Some assholes were in my hunting area up the road behind my house yesterday doing what, I don’t know but have my suspensions. Bet ya anything they were setting up tree stands knowing what I know on that BIG buck that’s been running around up there all summer.

wishinone
    Participant

Opening day 2014, not suppose to be climbing into tree stands but I did it anyway, as I walked into the woods I kicked turkeys out and was happy about that they have been hanging around several weeks now. I’m in my stand and as it’s getting light I hear deer walking and soon see a doe with twins coming up the hill, a bit future out another doe and fawn are coming. Now deer are coming down the hill too and I’m looking for antlers but a noise distracts me and to my right I see a tree full of turkeys. Of course the turkeys start flying down and landing behind me as I spot the five pointer with so many eyes there’s no way in hell of pulling back. The turkeys start moving but so to do the deer, I’m able to pull back but the buck is farter away then I would like to shoot, maybe tomorrow.

turkeys and deer

From the deer stand this morning, 8 deer and 16 turkeys at the same time.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Unfortunately with dial up speeds I cant watch the video.

wishinone
    Participant

First, last year I had to back off my bow two turns also, may have to do it again this year as I had to struggle to pull it back the other morning while sitting. In the stand this morning before light I heard walking but couldn’t see anything yet when I could see one passed on my right but 40 yards out. That was it except for the ducks quacking and geese honking on the lake it was a very quite morning.

wishinone
    Participant

Had doe come from behind me this morning and she walked around checking me out for a good half hour, she stood broadside at about 35 yards for several minutes as hard as I tried I couldn’t grow antlers on her head. Picked up a 4 x 2 buck on the trailcam last night, he a little bit bigger than the five pointer but nothing like what will show up in another month or so.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

These cool mornings make for good hunting. You need to get yourself a stick of Evercalm Deer Herd. NOT the doe in heat one, but the DEER HERD one. Rub it on some of the tree’s around your stand. It will cover your scent and keep them occupied so you can draw back. I use it all the time while bowhunting. Ive gotten within 10 to 15 yards of deer in thick heavy cover before they even realized I was a human and not another deer. I put it on my boots and hat. Also put some on a tree in front of your deer cam and just watch how the deer respond to it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.