CT Turkeys 2013

Home Forums Turkey Hunting CT Turkeys 2013

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  FNW Staff July 22, 2013 at 8:01 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

Went out scouting this morning and ran into a guy with two kids scouting too, the youth season is the next two Saturdays. We heard five birds and much to my dismay the older kid started calling to them, after a bit they said they were going to walk the trails and see if their calling can attract more gobbling. I drove around the area and spotted one gobbler strutting in a logging trail but that was the only turkey seen, there was about 15 deer in one field and a few more in the next one. Seventeen more days until our regular season opens.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

While fly fishing the other day we saw a flock of turkeys that had a least a dozen gobblers with them all strutting.

wishinone
    Participant

On the way to work last evening at the farm down the road there was a gobbler strutting with several hens feeding around him, on the other side of the road two days ago I saw a sow pig and 3 pigletts running across an open field. I wonder if they excaped from somewhere or if the little ones were born in the wild. This morning on the way home I seen 11 turkeys 4 of them big gobblers strutting.

wishinone
    Participant

Went out scouting this morning under cloudy skys and a few raindrops, found another truck at parking area and remember the guy hunting the area last year too. Heard seven gobblers, however several were off the state land and then heard a hen just up the hill from me, I waited and waited for a gobble to come from the area but it never happened. Took a 45 minute ride and saw 11 deer feeding here and there and two gobblers hoping for hens to join them in cut corn fields.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Heard my first gobble of the year across the street this morning.

wishinone
    Participant

Opening day today and the weather sucked, clouds and north winds blowing 20 MPH doesn’t make for good turkey hunting. I was suprised to see I was the first one in the parking lot and still nobody there when I walked in at 4:50 AM, got to where I shot my bird last opening day and set up the blind as shooting time started. As I was setting out the decoys there was one single gobble down the hill from me, but up over the hill on private land some crows got several gobblers going good for ten minutes or so until they flew down then nothing. After a couple of hours with nothing going on I got out of the blind and walked up to the edge of the state land to do some running and gunning but to no avail I didn’t hear a thing. However I saw the reason the birds were there and plan to be in the spot tomorrow morning at dark thirty, they were in some pine trees to be out of the wind, if they are there again all I need to do is call one over the stone wall.

wishinone
    Participant

Woke up to rain pouring down around 2 AM, tossed and turned until the alarm went off at 3:45 and light rain still falling. Checked the weather map and it showed the rain moving out of the area a bit after 5 AM so had something to eat and drove to parking area where I sat for awhile until the rain stopped. Got where I wanted to go and the wind started howling, I heard no gobbles so ended up walking around the whole area cutting and running to no avail. Headed back home and the rain started again, I saw 7 birds in fields on the way home. Back to work tonight, next time out will be next Tuesday.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Maybe a few snow flurries, but no rain here this morning. Our season opens Wednesday.

wishinone
    Participant

Suppose to be warm for the next week, hopefully things will pick up when I’m off again. On a side note I just pulled the first tick off of me this year.

wishinone
    Participant

When I got to the woods this morning a guy was already parked there and he asked if I was going turkey hunting, when I said yes he said he was going fishing and wouldn’t bother me which was great news. Before I got where I wanted to go the birds started gobbling, one pretty far away and others above me to the left so I kept going up the hill. When about even with them I was right at the edge of state land, I found a good tree to sit against and gave a few soft calls and the birds went nuts. There was 4 birds gobbling in the group and when the hit the ground I was sure one would head my way, but not the case, I assume the hens with the group led them down the hill on the far side and being private land I couldn’t follow them. All told I heard 7 birds gobble this morning not counting one that answered a call when I got back to my truck, he was so far away I’m not sure where he was. Maybe give them another go tomorrow or go fishing, not sure yet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.