CT Turkeys 2014

Home Forums Turkey Hunting CT Turkeys 2014

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  wishinone May 12, 2014 at 8:38 am.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

I have not been seeing much of anything in my rides around the area, but I have learned that means nothing. Our season opens next Wednesday and as of now the weather doesn’t look good, will have to wait and see.

wishinone
    Participant

Didn’t make it out opening day due to heavy rain and I had to work the next two nights so this morning was my first time out. I couldn’t believe I was the first one there (state land) and I had all my gear together when a father and son pulled into the parking lot, I told them where I was going and was on my way. Got to my spot and waited and waited for a gobble but not a sound was heard, so I set up my blind and started calling every 15 minutes or so. Around 6:30 I heard crows and geese carrying on way to my left and a gobbler responded twice and was quite awhile later I hear a gobble to my right and that was it. About 7:30 I hear what I believe a jake sound off several times to my right I call and hear a hen out in front of me but no one shows themselves so I pack up and head out 45 minutes later. As I’m approaching the parking area I hear a gobbler up over the hill, I stop and hear it again then I pull out a call and let loose with a hen needs some love noise. He didn’t get too excited but kept gobbling as I made my way to the parking area and put my gear away, of course the bird was on private land and he was still sounding off as I left the area. No Sunday hunting in CT so will fish tomorrow, will give it another go on Monday morning.

wishinone
    Participant

As soon as I walked out the back door this morning I knew I should forget turkey hunting and go fishing, but I was geared up so headed to the woods. Got to where I wanted to go and waited for a bird to gobble, finally heard one so far away I couldn’t pinpoint where it was. The lighter out it got the more the wind blew, I set up for an hour and a half with no response to my calls and my right ear was starting to hurt from the wind so packed it in and headed home. Not looking too good for CT turkey hunters this year at least those of us hunting state land.

wishinone
    Participant

Should have been a great morning but only one gobble heard at 5:30 across the road on private property. I drove all around the area checking corn and hay fields and only seen one hen all by herself feeding, I did manage to see a cock pheasant cross the road, that makes four in the last few weeks seen. Pulled my gear out of the truck and loaded it with saltwater gear, will start hitting that when off again from work.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.