Fishing CT 2015

Home Forums Fishing Fishing CT 2015

This topic contains 40 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  FNW Staff September 20, 2015 at 3:35 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 41 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

Had to wait until the third day of trout season to get out, fishing wasn’t great but at least I didn’t get skunked. Only landed two rainbows, had another half dozen hook ups but they all threw the hook, guys nymphing did a lot better. I’ll tell you one thing the water is damn cold right now. Got some bad news from the Game Warden, he told the hatchery no more big fish are to be stocked there due to people getting “trout fever” and making trouble for other fishermen around them but there will be a lot more smaller ones put in.

wishinone
    Participant

I couldn’t believe I had the whole pool to myself this morning for two hours, I got there at first light and after I got my gear on and grabbed my rod I turned and see a coyote sitting in the road and watching me about 40 yards away, as soon as I closed the back of my truck he bolted. Trout were clearing the water jumping at small flies I started with a zonker and had a hit first cast but missed the fish, a couple more cast and I have my first rainbow of the day. I managed to get my leader all tangled and had to cut it back, then I hang up and loose everything, I ended up loosing four flies to the rock fish. I caught three more rainbows and lost some more on the way in, plus I had a bunch of short hits. Rain started pouring down so I called it a morning, back to work tomorrow but still may try to get out again for a few hours in the morning.

Attachments:

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Haven’t even gotten out up here. Hoping for this week or by weekend.

wishinone
    Participant

Woke up at 4 AM so said what the hell, I’m going fishing. I had the place to myself for an hour or so but didn’t matter much as they weren’t hitting that well I only managed to catch one rainbow trout. An older gent shows up and starts fishing the head of the pool and hooks up as I’m walking by him, I head to the pool above and after two cast I got my second rainbow. I had a bunch of short hits so I changed the fly to a hornburg and now I’m catching trout, more rainbows, brown trout and a nice male tiger trout with a hook jaw. Of course before I catch him the damn camera falls into the stream and it no longer works. Won’t get out again until next Monday, I can’t wait.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

At least somebody is catching some. powerful cold front next weekend should set Basswood on fire. It just iced off a couple of days ago. And I do believe I caught the first trout out of it this year being that you gotta walk in to get to it.

wishinone
    Participant

A few of the trout lakes here were iced over for the opener last Saturday, according to reports trout fishing has been slow for most.

wishinone
    Participant

Woke up at 4:30 and was happy it wasn’t raining, as I pulled out of the driveway a few drops fell and by the time I got to Colchester it was pouring. I decided at least I’ll go down to the river and check things out, wouldn’t you know, not a drop of rain fell in the two and a half hours I was there. With the storm front the trout were hitting short, I lost track of how many hits I had without hooking up, finally I hooked a rainbow and landed it. I caught a fish about every half hour, sometimes throwing 50 or so cast without a hit, I ended up with three rainbows and one nice brook trout. No pictures today, the camera is working but it was too cold for my hands to work right and I didn’t want to drop it in the water again.

wishinone
    Participant

Between yesterday and last night we had close to two inches of rain, I drove down to the river to check things out not knowing what to expect. When the water is at the top of the first handicap ramp the river is fishable, this morning I couldn’t even see the ramp and the water was flowing over the second ramp so the water was running at least three feet higher than yesterday. It should drop quick, I’ll drive down tomorrow and see what’s up.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Fresh coating of snow on the ground here. Heading out to Basswood in a few hours

wishinone
    Participant

I lost three days of fishing due to flooding, calling for rain my first three days off this next week.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.