Fishing CT 2015

Home Forums Fishing Fishing CT 2015

This topic contains 40 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  FNW Staff September 20, 2015 at 3:35 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

Left the house before 5 this morning and pulled over to listen for turkeys on the way down, didn’t hear a thing. Started with a few short hits, I’m using a zonker so it’s a big fly and the smaller trout grab the tail without getting the hook. Finally caught a foot long brook trout and then the trout stopped hitting, I changed the fly several times and went up and down stream but nothing doing. I had the whole place to myself until I was leaving when one other fisherman showed up. Turkey hunting tomorrow AM then may try for trout afterwards.

wishinone
    Participant

Have to head back to work tonight so instead of getting up at 4 AM I slept in until 5, had a cup of coffee then headed down to the river. It was stocked two days ago and I expected it to be packed but only two other fishermen were there, I headed up stream with plans to work my way down. Started with a bunch of short hits before hooking up with a rainbow, missed a few more before hooking up to another then it died down so I headed down stream and dropped my fly into a mini whirlpool behind a big rock. I saw a flash as a trout missed the fly they he got it and I had my third rainbow of the morning. A bit future down stream I hooked another rainbow then a small brookie, I then went back to where I started fishing and caught another rainbow and called it a morning ending up with seven trout caught and released.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Good deal. Been struggling here all season to find trout.

wishinone
    Participant

Had thoughts of them stocking yesterday so of course they didn’t but I went fishing anyway. Got there a little after 5 AM and had the place to myself for an hour, was fishing a Hornburg on top and missed the first two trout and hooked up a brown trout on the next drift. Had to keep moving being after a few cast the fish in the area would quit rising to the fly so had to put it over new trout. I switched over to a nymph and caught a rainbow as I went to net it the knot came undone so good bye fish and fly. Ended up with four caught and a half dozen short hits, the place started getting crowded so I packed up and headed home.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

wishinone
    Participant

Made my first trip on the Blackhawk this morning and we went t Long Island for Bluefish. After we got there it took ten minutes for the fish to start hitting, I had fish after fish on but they kept throwing the hook on the way up. Finally I hooked one good and it made it into the boat, after that it was about two lost fish to one landed I ended up with my limit of ten fish, the smoker is going to be very busy tomorrow.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Good deal

wishinone
    Participant

Went back out this morning for porgies, the fishing was poor compared to what they had last week. With close to 50 people on the boat there was only one fish caught in the first hour, the Captain ended up moving the boat three times trying to find a school under the boat. The fishing got better as the day got longer, we did stay an extra hour to catch some extra fish, I bought home 14 fish, good for a few good meals.

wishinone
    Participant

The fishing was so bad at the Race yesterday morning (only one bluefish and 5 short stripers caught) on the afternoon trip and both trips today the Blackhawk decided to fish for fluke at Montauk. 15 keepers this mornings trip with the biggest going around eight pounds, was very surprised to see a young woman catch three keepers to none for her boyfriend, that’s fishing for you. A few nice seabass were caught and released while we await the June 21st opening day for party boats. Reports from the Race this morning was nothing caught by several other party boats. Going to give it another try on Tuesday and hope for the best.

wishinone
    Participant

Thought we were going to Montauk again today but last nights wind didn’t die down as promised and it was still kicking pretty good all day today. We went to Gardner’s Island this morning and found the Montauk Star there all ready along with the Helen III, we had wind against tide for the first couple of hours and the fishing was very slow only two fluke caught but both keepers. After the tide started to move some I caught one just making 18 inches a few more cookie cutters were caught by other anglers, the mates cut out the bellies of a fluke one of them caught and some sea robin bellies also I put on a piece of fluke belly and on the next drift I felt weight on my line which I though was seaweed but turned out to be a nice 25 incher. The rest of that drift and the next one about a dozen more keepers came over the rails and then it went back to nothing again. Back to work tomorrow so don’t know when I’ll get out again, but I can’t wait.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.