Fishing CT 2015

Home Forums Fishing Fishing CT 2015

This topic contains 40 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  FNW Staff September 20, 2015 at 3:35 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

Went to Harkness Park this morning to do some shore fishing and was pretty disappointed being I didn’t get one hit and not even the crabs were eating the bait. Tomorrow I’ll head out on the Blackhawk and see what happens there.

wishinone
    Participant

Thank goodness the Blackhawk starts fishing every day next week, the weekend trips are packed with adults and kids but in order to fish I had to put up with it. Went to the Race yesterday morning and the place was packed with pleasure boats and soon joined with four other party boats, not many fish showing on the screens and I only saw two bluefish caught by the private boats. We made several drifts without a hit for 40 plus fishermen using diamond jigs, when a mate came up to me and asked me to try a bucktail which I agreed to. Two drifts later it gets slammed and I pull the first striper, a 30 incher, into the boat. Decision time, with a one fish limit I tell the mate to let it go and continue fishing. A few drifts later I’m hooked up again and release a 24 incher and a few more drifts later as I bounce the bucktail up a hill I get hit again and this time it’s a 31 incher which I keep as the tide slows down. Seven keeper stripers caught on the boat but only one bluefish, radio chatter says the Mijoy only caught one bluefish with 40 fishermen which means we have a long way to go compared to last year which sucked in itself. I stayed on for the afternoon trip being they were going for fluke but all I could catch were shorts, but others caught some nice keepers we made the trip down to Montauk for these, not another party boat to be seen while we were there.

wishinone
    Participant

Same today as it was several weeks ago, nothing being caught in the Race so the Captain took the Blackhawk to Montauk. Lots of birds flying and diving, we dropped diamond jigs, bucktails and fluke rigs for a mixed catch of bluefish, scup and fluke. When the tide died the boat was moved to try another spot where we only did two or three drifts but a guy from South Carolina hooked into a nine pound fluke before the boat was moved again to await the incoming flood tide. A bunch of nice fluke caught, myself I couldn’t catch a keeper but I did manage to catch some dandy size black seabass, broke my heart to toss them back. Some people switched over to porgy rigs and some huge fish were caught, a couple coming close to 4 pounds and most of the big ones caught by the same guy. I used a small bucktail with squid and some bluefish belly and caught seabass and fluke on it, after I lost it to rocks I put on a regular fluke rig using the same bait started catching bigger seabass, could have been being the tide started moving more ?

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

At this point it doesn’t really matter if your catching them or not. Your days on the Balckhawk are dwindling.

wishinone
    Participant

That they are, I’m doing a night trip this Tuesday the boat leaves at 9:30 PM. If I do catch a big one not sure what I’ll do with it.

wishinone
    Participant

Left the dock at 9:30 last night and headed to the Race, the tide was barely moving for the first hour but when the drift speed hit a knot the fish started hitting our live eels. I managed to catch the first fish and it was a keeper, but being in a $20 per man pool I told the mate to toss it back, my buddy Bill hooked up into his best ever striper at 25 pounds and it’s twin was caught two spots down from him on the same drift. When we switched over to bucktails some drifts have three or four fish coming over the rails some had none, there was a lot of shorts caught. One guy, I have no idea how he did it, but as he was sharing beers and a pint of whiskey with his buddy he landed five stripers but the thing is on one drift he foul hooked one in the middle of the back and the next drift he hooked one in the head. The pool winner was a fish around 40 pounds caught in the stern of the boat, it was caught on an eel around midnight.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  wishinone.
    Attachments:

wishinone
    Participant

Got our butts kicked by the wind and waves today but still managed to catch fish, once again some nice sea bass but we can’t keep them until next Wednesday so back in they went. I tried for fluke for a couple of hours to no avail so I switched to a porgy rig and caught ten or so which I gave to my friend Bill. Don’t know when I’ll get out again due to doctors appointments when I’m off next, so probably will have to wait two weeks.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

No wind here just rain and lots of it

wishinone
    Participant

Thought the boat was leaving at 7 AM this morning so got there a little after six and found out it was leaving at 8 AM, oh well the first one there. We tried fishing for black seabass and fluke in the Race, a few seabass and porgies were caught but not great numbers so the boat went on to try another spot where one fluke was caught and a bunch more seabass and porgies. I missed a few fish as I was using a fluke rig but did manage to catch one seabass which I released. We then went back into the race to try for some bluefish and stripers, I tied on a bucktail and managed to hook up seven times in seven drifts, my last fish a 32 inch bluefish ended up taking the pool. I ended the day with the one seabass, two undersize stripers and four bluefish plus lost five other fish when the hook pulled bringing them in. A pretty good day.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Good deal

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.