Fishing CT 2015

Home Forums Fishing Fishing CT 2015

This topic contains 40 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  FNW Staff September 20, 2015 at 3:35 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

Same thing happened this morning when we went to fish Montauk, very slow fishing with little current until the tide started to move. The Captain moved the boat five times trying to get onto some bigger fish, there was a bunch of porgies and a ton of short black seabass being caught with a keeper here and there. I wanted fluke so I tied on a fluke snak and started using whole squid but between the porgies and small bass they were stripping my bait in no time, I never caught a fluke only three keepers caught today one on the last drift of the day. I put a green fluke rig on with a spinner added a piece of clam along with a spearing and wham I got a nice seabass, an 11 year old girl on board asked me if she could have it so I gave it to her and made her day. One more move of the boat and we had a several hundred yards where the fish were hitting like crazy and showed all over the screen, once you got past them that was it until we went back for another drift. I was catching seabass left and right, a lot of them only a quarter to an eighth of an inch short but I did manage two more nice keepers one winning the pool my second win in two weeks. Almost makes me think I know what I’m doing.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Didn’t know you’d be going out with Lisa being there.

wishinone
    Participant

They went to a Rhode Island beach for the day, we got home about ten minutes apart.

wishinone
    Participant

Drove down to the shore yesterday with pouring rain with thunder and lightning all around, finally stopped about five miles from the boat but when in line to buy my ticket we were dumped on again. The Captain told the crowd it would not be a good day to be out and the weatherman was calling for 30 mph winds, they offered a refund to any who didn’t want to go and about two dozen people left. We still had 50 plus with a group of 20 Asians and another group of 12 of friends fishing together, well the Asian group didn’t speak English so you could imagine the mess we had with tangles and waiting for them to get their lines in when told to do so. Anyway it turned out the weatherman lied and it turned into a great day, fishing was better than expected in local waters for black seabass and porgies, one guy caught a nice blackfish but no fluke came aboard. I gave my porgies to my fishing partner Bill, caught three keeper seabass and gave a spro bucktail and 16 ounce sinker to the rocks. Bill had two keeper seabass and a nice bunch o porgies, heading back down in a bit as we’re suppose to be going to Montauk where the fishing should be much better.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Good luck

wishinone
    Participant

Went close to Block Island today to fish for black seabass, and they were there waiting to be caught, I never seen so many come over the rail. Surprised to see very few porgies caught, there was a few fluke, a bluefish, a dogfish and some cod caught today also. Only bad thing about the trip was it was against the tide going and coming which added at least an extra half hour in travel time each way.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Figured you were going fishing after seeing you on Facebook so early in the morning yesterday.

wishinone
    Participant

Went on an evening charter yesterday with a few of my ex co-workers, the fishing methods were a lot like fishing for salmon at Lake Ontario with it all being trolling with different lures. On the way out we got into a school of big bluefish busting bait all over the surface, we went through them and caught two of about ten pounds. A bit later two undersize striped bass were caught then it was my turn on a rod, we were trolling a tube with an attached “otter tail” a design by the Captain of the boat (usually a sand worm is used) and it got slammed, we knew it was a good one being it kept pulling drag. After a period of time it came to the net and taped out at 44 inches, an hour and a half later a 35 incher was caught. We ended up catching 4 striped bass and seven bluefish.

Attachments:

wishinone
    Participant

Went out yesterday and the fishing was slow for several reasons, the water was dirty from who knows what and with the moon the night before the tides were running their fastest of the year. We tried to catch some bluefish but not one was caught so we went for seabass and started catching some but then a big school of bluefish came in and put them into hiding and a few had a bluefish take their clam bait but outside of one they all bite off. We switched to diamond jigs but the bluefish had moved off, back to bait and a few more seabass until the trip was over.

wishinone
    Participant

Went out today with friends Bill and Scott for some bottom fishing, it was a heck of a day weather wise and fishing wise, we caught fish every drift. Just fishing with clams for bait we caught 16 keeper Black Seabass and 40 big porgies plus another 30 or so undersized fish released. A guy caught a 24 inch fluke to take the $100.00 pool, one of only two caught on the trip, the season ends on Monday.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.