FL Turkey Hunting and Scouting

Home Forums Turkey Hunting FL Turkey Hunting and Scouting

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wishinone January 5, 2018 at 11:53 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

Two week ago I went with two friends to check out an area for turkey hunting, while there we filled 5 feeders with corn for hogs and deer, it’s against to law to hunt turkeys within 100 yards of these feeders.  I think it’s in the bag for us to hunt the place but I get little hints maybe I don’t so I check out a few areas another guy told me about.  One of 33,000 acres is a big swamp with few areas I might be able to turkey hunt, a 2000 acre state forest looks good but I find out it’s a quota area and you had to apply last year for the permits.  Not far from there I find a great area with mixed hardwoods between the palm trees and mini swamps, I’ll be heading there Saturday morning only problem is it’s 110 miles away but at least I’ll be hunting.  On a side note there was several gobblers sounding off this morning less than 100 yards from my front door, sad to say it a preserve with no hunting allowed.

wishinone
    Participant

Guy called and told me there had to be over 100 turkeys in one field not far from here, of course no hunting anywhere allowed in the area.  Wife ran to the store this morning and while driving back a gobbler was strutting down the sidewalk about 1.4 mile from here.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Are they easterns?

wishinone
    Participant

No, they are Osceola’s here, the line between the two breeds is way upstate from here.

wishinone
    Participant

Bought my first new turkey decoy in years, I think the last time I bought one it was around $15.00 I paid $80.00 for this one.  I let it sit in the house for a few days and today I took it out of the box and then read the directions that you have to pull a valve and blow it up, it took some doing but I got it done. It does look good, now all it has to do is attract a boyfriend in close.  I also bought some mouth calls for ha ha’s since getting dentures five years ago I haven’t been able to use one but these work fine for some reason, I think they are made a bit smaller than the ones I use to use.

wishinone
    Participant

Got up at 4 AM and hit the road, ended up leaving about 20 minutes late to catch sunrise where I’ll be hunting Saturday.  Walked through the area for two and a half hours coming out of the woods 9/10’s a mile from where the truck was parked, it was windy as hell so there was no chance of hearing any birds gobbling but I did find turkey sign and saw three hens along the side of the road.  I found myself in a swamp with all kinds of hog sign, the ground tore up and a big wallow for them to get muddied up, walking back to the truck a lot of fresh tracks in the dirt road of hogs and deer crossing here and there.  Three more days and I’ll be hunting.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Man I hope you were armed walking that terrain and wore snake chaps.

wishinone
    Participant

Bought a pair of snake boots and carried a 38 with a mix of shot shells and solid bullets just in case.  Frost where I’ll be hunting this morning and high 30’s here, I was outside before sunrise and didn’t hear any birds gobbling.  I noticed yesterday that the hens here are lighter in color than the northern birds, but read that the gobblers are darker hopefully I’ll find out.

wishinone
    Participant

Will be on my way in 20 minutes for my first turkey hunt in FL, will not be sunrise here until 7:20.  Note to self, have you stuff ready several days before you plan on doing something, it took awhile to find all my gear in four places.

wishinone
    Participant

Got worried when I got to hunting area, there was seven trucks parked by trail where I came out the other day.  I drove all the way to the end and only two guys parked there, then I went to where I wanted to enter the woods.  The sun was rising when I geared up and not a gobble to be heard I went into the woods about 100 yards and heard a guy calling so I cut right and went another 100 yards or so.  I was leaning against a tree when I heard a hen yelp not far to my right, about a half dozen tree rats went nuts I’m guessing they saw the turkey or turkeys but I did not.  I set up my blind and after doing some calling I hear a gobble way out in front of me, after awhile the bird is working it way closer and I hear woof, woof a freaking dog running through the woods, so no more gobbling from him.  A half hour later I have a bird on my left behind me gobble, he’s closer and gobbles some more but son of a bitch a dog is barking again in that area and that was it for the morning.  I’m going to have to run and gun when I go back here so hopefully I can have a chance at these birds.  I seen a small herd of hogs run down the hill and a half hour later they ran back up the way they came down.  Next time out will be next Friday, it would be too much to try and get back there tomorrow, the area is only open Friday, Saturday and Sundays.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.