Hog Hunt

Home Forums Big Game Hunting Hog Hunt

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wishinone May 8, 2017 at 4:45 pm.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

Got to friends place Thursday afternoon in late afternoon they took us for a ride where we would be hunting the next day.  While driving around we had a dozen run across the road in front of the truck, there were armadillos all over the place my friend George tried to catch one but that’s another story, a few deer were seen and a pair of turkeys while driving back we seen another 18 hogs in someone’s pasture.

We got up 5:30 had a cup of coffee and went to the hunting area less than ten minutes away, only 25 permits were given away and we all couldn’t hunt the same area but we hunted on either side of the road as we had areas C and D.  Still plenty dark when we go to area to park so I pull off the road and shut the truck off and George rolls his window down part way and we hear noises I’ve never heard before, he rolls the window the rest of the way down and said oh my god listen to those hogs.  We still had to wait for light and the roaring and squealing kept on, we loaded our guns and worked out way to the edge of the woods the hogs had to be 30 yards or less in front of us but we couldn’t see a thing.  Finally they moved back into the woods and I decided to walk the road a mile to a trail and follow it back down to where the truck was parked.  I can’t remember how many times I heard hogs as I worked my way down the trail but I couldn’t get close enough to see them, we hung out for a bit and I walked the trail again hearing hogs on both sides of the road as I travelled it none of us got a shot that morning.  More later.

wishinone
    Participant

Back out in the afternoon and all I see are deer, George is at a handicap spot and quit counting hogs at 25, he is hunting with a pistol and said he wasn’t going to kill one anyway.  Hunting ends a half hour after sunset, I can no longer see well before that and I head back to my truck and start driving slow down the road, I get to where my other friends are and he motions to me to stop and shut my engine off.  He is also handicapped and was sitting in his truck with his wife standing in the back of his pickup and she sees three hogs about 20 yards away coming out but my driving spooked them and they head back to wherever they came from.  We head home eat dinner around 9:45 and head to bed  around 11 PM to get back up at 3:30 and hope to avoid getting shut out of the area.  We had six people already in line and we don’t get the area we want to hunt after check in.  Chris asks me if I don’t mind walking towards him and George and maybe flush something to them, I have a 1.6 mile trail to follow to their area.  As I’m going in I hear turkeys gobbling here and there one don’t shut up for over an hour, as I go down the trail I hear a boar sounding off about 50 yards away I try to get closer to no avail and either turkeys or hogs are going through 3 to 4 feet high brush and I can’t see squat.  I hear the boar again but he’s down the trail so I head down that way and find a park bench along the trail and I sit down to take a break.  The boar sounds off behind me and I turn around and have my shotgun up when I see it go between two trees and just like that it’s gone in some heavy brush.  I sit back down and ten or so minutes later a turkey gobbles up the trail and it’s answered by another one back where the hog was, I use my voice to yelp and scratch some leaves and he gobbles more and more, I slap my hat on my leg like a flying bird and son of a bitch if he doesn’t come strutting in.  He gets to within 30 yards and I move and off he goes, I ask how the turkey season went there and am told with two weekend youth hunts and a month long season only six birds were taken, I couldn’t believe it.  More in the morning.

wishinone
    Participant

After the turkey incident I continue down the trail and receive a text from Chris, I reply I see the road and will go back a couple of hundred yards and cut across.  I do that and I see his truck parked so I head back future and get myself turned around, I’m walking and stopping to look around and when I step on a branch there is squealing and some hogs take off from a thicket, I text Chris and he text’s back in a minute or two as I step over a dead tree.  I stop to read the text and all hell breaks loose pigs are running everywhere and I’m holding my phone not my gun, such is my luck.  Anyway I’m heading west instead of east so it takes me awhile to get out of the woods and we head home for lunch and a nap.  Back at it late afternoon and I head to the bench again, within 45 minutes I hear probably the same boar carrying on where I last heard him in the morning.  Instead of coming my way he goes the other way and I no longer hear him, it’s pushing 7 PM and I head back to my truck.  I text Chris to find out where he’s set up and drive down to where we hunted the first day to watch a food plot.  I’m parked with my windows down and hear oinking not far away I am looking and seeing nothing again, soon I hear a boar down the road a bit so I drive down and pull over afraid I may have gotten too close and spooked him.  No he’s still roaring so get out of the truck and load my gun and start walking down the road, I hear running in the bushes and see the boar step into the road about 75 yards away.  I expect more to cross as I raise my gun but see no others so I aim and fire and shoot over his back.  It’s dark now and we all meet up Chris slaps me with his hat for missing and says when the boars are carrying on like that they are breeding I guess the sows went the other way.  Nothing killed but a fun two days of hunting, lots of hogs seen and I did get a shot, their is another hunt next weekend and I’m invited back but don’t think I’ll make it.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Sounds like a lot of damn work. How hot was it? How are the bugs?

wishinone
    Participant

Pretty cool in the mornings, temps in the high 40’s it got a little warm Saturday PM.  You have to use a thermal cell for the skitters, ticks around too.  We applied to turkey hunt there last fall but didn’t get picked, we will try again in September.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.