Opening Day 2012

Home Forums Turkey Hunting Opening Day 2012

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  FNW Staff May 8, 2012 at 11:14 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

I was suppose to work until 7 AM this morning but asked a guy to come in early and cover for me. I got home around 4 AM and had a cup of coffee and headed to the reading room, then I got my gear into the truck and headed out. Got to my spot on state land and son of a gun there was two other trucks there and the guys were already gone so I had no idea where they went. I said the hell with it threw on my vest, grabbed my gun and blind and headed in with it still being dark out, I humped down the trail several hundred yards and cut up the hill. It was still dark 30 when I heard my first gobble of the morning, within minutes birds were gobbling up a storm to my left and right. I got where I wanted to go and put out a jake and hen decoy, then I popped open my blind and put the supports in, as soon as I got inside I made some soft yelps and gobblers answered back. I waited for them to hit the ground and made like two hens, I called they called and called again, now it was a waiting game. After a short while I heard hens walking around my blind and yelping softly, the boys liked it so I had to get agressive then some gobblers were getting closer along with some jakes. At 6:15 there is a gobble close and I look out a hole in the side and see a bird strutting about 50 yards away. I cutt on a mouth call and another bird responds a lot closer, I look out the front of the blind and here comes another bird strutting his way to my hen decoy. I work the gun barrel up and out the blind and drop the hammer when he’s 25 yards, the other bird gobbles once and takes off, using a fish deliar the birds weights 18 lbs, the beard is 10 1/4 inches and the spurs are one inch long.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

And here is your bird.

wishinone
    Participant

Day two, got to the woods a bit later being I had to scrape heavy frost off of my windshield this morning and saw only one truck in the parking lot. Went close to the same spot where I got my bird yesterday and set up, only gobbles heard were way off. I heard a hen so I did what she did for awhile but then she went quite, I could hear someone else calling down in the valley and once they started they didn’t shut up. I waited 10 minutes or so before calling again and heard a gobble behind me, someone else heard it too and came in blowing an owl call then a hen call plus crow call, of course the gobbler was never heard from again. I waited around for another hour and a half without hearing anything so decided to head home change my clothes and go trout fishing. As I was walking out I hear people talking and a man and woman walk by on the trail below without seeing me. A few seconds later here’s a pitbull running loose and he see’s me and wants to tear me a new a-hole, the guy runs back and tackles the dog, thanking me for being cool and I guess not shooting the dog. Of course they when they parked there is a big sign saying dogs must be leashed.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

What idiots. Don’t they know its hunting season.

wishinone
    Participant

They do now.

wishinone
    Participant

Got up at 3:30 this morning and the rain was coming down and the wind howling, so I went back to bed. Next time out will be Monday morning.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Well we have the wind, but instead of rain its all snow

wishinone
    Participant

Went out this morning with temps being in the high 20’s, BUT there was no wind blowing so I didn’t mind. Got to the parking area and I had the place to myself, as I got my gear out of the truck birds started gobbling but nothing close. By the time I got to my spot it was past shooting time, I set my blind up and settled in for a few minutes before making my first call. As soon as I yelped I had two gobblers hollar back from the next ridge, they were pretty vocal for awhile but soon I heard hens leading them down the hill about 15 minutes later I hear a gobble from my left. I get excited with my calling and he is hammering back, wait a second now there are two others out in front and they are trying to out gobble each other but not one is coming in where I can see it, it is too damn thick in the woods already. Before it’s all said and done I believe there are five longbeards and a bunch of jakes on top of the next hill, I leave my blind and work to the top while the birds are gobbling to me, crows, each other and a dump truck somewhere banging it’s tailgate after dumping a load. I come to the end of state land and try calling one of the birds in but they are happy just walking around gobbling, not the least bit interested in a girlfriend. I leave at 8:30 and they are still carrying on, I have to wait until next Monday to give them a try again.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Sounds exciting

wishinone
    Participant

Guy that I talked to the second day of the season was already in the parking lot when I got there, I now know the area he hunts so I headed the other way. For some reason I’m kicking deer out left and right heading up the trail, some just run off others have to snort at me first and I had one run about ten yards in front of me. I get where I want and wait and wait some more for the first gobble, it was a clear night and the full moon doesn’t help, about quarter to six I hear a couple of birds sound off on the ground. I get to within about 150 yards from them and set up, I didn’t use the blind today being I wanted to move fast if I had too and I have to leave early for an dentist appointment. I make some calls and the gobblers respond soon I see movement but it’s a deer and it don’t like the wierd lump against the tree, it comes in close and I see antler growth on it’s head then it spooks and starts blowing and runs back down the trail. Fine now where’s my turkeys, I call and one gobbles back but what the heck here comes the deer again and it has a buddy which doesn’t like the lump either. To make a long story short these guys came at me from several angles with both of them snorting like crazy each time, but the time they finally left the gobbling had stopped. I went to where I figured the turkeys were and called from there but no go, the whole area is torn up from their scratching the leaves and I even found a dust bowl they are using. I put my gear away when I got home even though we have weeks of the season to go, the woods are too thick to see very far already and it’s not going to get any better.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.