Pheasant Hunting

Home Forums Camp Fire Pheasant Hunting

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    wishinone
    Participant

Got a phone call yesterday from a friend telling me to call another friend about hunting this morning for pheasants, being I’ve been out three times without getting a bird and only seeing one I jumped on the chance to hunt with a dog. We were walking a trail and I was stomping through some brush when the dog flushed a hen and my friend Ken winged it, then it took awhile for the dog to find it. We did a lot of walking and were on the return trip and the dog got birdy in some thick briers and another hen went up, we both missed but saw where the bird went so we were able to flush it again and Ken dropped that one as I had no shot. We entered a field we had already went through and as I was walking I seen some weeds move, I called the dog over and the bird almost hit me in the head as it flushed, missed the first shot and dropped it on the second. Two guys we use to work with were on the trail so we stopped to BS and as we were the dog puts up another bird and we bag that one making our limit for the day. On the way down the trail the dog takes off into the brush and I hear a rooster cackle and flush, all we can do is watch it fly over our heads as our day is done.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Good deal

wishinone
    Participant

Went back out this morning to same spot, dog put up five birds and we only got two. One we heard the flush but didn’t see the bird and two were a bit far away for my open choke. Still fun getting out and walking around and BS’ing, times like this is when I really miss my black lab Pepper, we took hundreds of birds with him.

wishinone
    Participant

We went back at it this morning, ended up with two hens and one rooster, if our shooting didn’t suck so much we would have had more. Will go out again on Monday, invited for special hunt then and Thanksgiving but will be away then.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Good deal

wishinone
    Participant

Met my buddy Ken at our usual spot and he brought his grandson with him, I followed them to the gun club we were going to. We met three other guys there we use to work with, then we drove down to the co-op area, we had seven hunters and two dogs. Wind was blowing pretty good so when the birds got up it was like they had afterburners, man they were moving. We took turns with the dogs and the shooters, a winged rooster managed to avoid the dogs and us for over ten minutes, someone should have had a camera. After an hour and a half we were limited out with 14 birds, 9 roosters and 5 hens.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Good eating those birds are

wishinone
    Participant

Got out my 40 year old cookbook, will be wrapping them in ham and bacon put them in a baking dish add some sour cream and stick them in the oven of an hour and a half. Will be my dinner for a couple of nights when the wife heads to NC.

wishinone
    Participant

Last pheasant hunt this morning, only 20 birds stocked and 14 hunters showed up, I was happy to get one rooster. Ken’s grandson got two cock birds and Ken didn’t get a shot, it was a pretty good season getting a few birds and some exercise/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.