RTF’s Trapping Journal 2011-2012

Home Forums Predator Hunting & Trapping 101 RTF’s Trapping Journal 2011-2012

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Well today is opening day of the land trapping in NY. At 7 AM we will be allowed to head out to the woods and set land traps for predators. Our targeted species will be raccoon, grey fox and coyote. Hoping to maybe grab a red fox or two along the way.

The weather for the week looks to be shitty with a cold rain and the possibility of snow. Cold weather is good for trapping, but it’s the rain I’m worried about. Are sets will become useless if washed out.

wishinone
    Participant

We can’t land trap here in CT except for yotes with a special permit, too dang bad being I have a fisher along with both grey and red foxes and a yote or two running around behind the house. Also if you want to trap state land (water trapping) here you have to buy a permit for each parcel. I guess it’s the best they can do to cut down on trapping without outright banning it.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

You guys must have lots of road kills.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

The first day could have went a bit smoother. We had many equipment issues that showed up do too not being prepared. It slowed us down a bit and we got half of our line set up. By 4:30 in the afternoon, we were just too tired and wore out to continue. Last night we heard a group of coyotes carrying on in an area we set a coyote set. Rain has come in. So all the work on our dirt sets yesterday are now useless. Will be heading out in a few hours to check the sets and maybe put out more. Snow in the forecast for Thursday.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Well our first day out to check traps and only have one coon to show for it. Been raining ever since the first day. Our K9 sets are pretty much unless and will all need to be redone come Friday morning after all this rain and snow comes to an end. Accumulating snows come tonight so I dont know what to expect. On another note we found a big pile of bear scat on a logging road we walk on deep in state land.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Got soaked yesterday while checking traps, but managed to collect another big coon in a fox set and also picked up a opossum.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

All K9 sets will have to be remade today for the weekend with fresh dry dirt and lure.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Didn’t bother remaking the K9 sets today since half of them we couldnt find. Got skunked today, notta nothing. Snow falling from the trees made it a miserable day. A fisher passed just above one of our sets along the stream bank.

wishinone
    Participant

Couldn’t find ???

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Couldn’t find ???

When they are in mowed hay fields and are buried in snow, you just dont see the hole sets.

Anyhow we pulled all of our sets today after getting skunked for the second day in a row along with this snow storm making things difficult. Wyatt put out a few sets close to the house and I will reset next week during our dry slot of weather that is forecasted.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.