RTF’s Trapping Journal 2011-2012

Home Forums Predator Hunting & Trapping 101 RTF’s Trapping Journal 2011-2012

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Found lots of beaver sign yesterday, Will be out in a few hours setting beaver and mink sets for the opener.

wishinone
    Participant

No muskrat sets ?

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

The muskrat population up here exists no more. There are a few here and there but we use to be loaded with them. The DEC is now conducting a study to find out why. We did set a few sets yesterday for them.

The rain pretty much messed up the day. We got soaked twice and Im just getting better from a cold. We hiked way back in on state land to one big beaver pond and set some beaver and fox sets. Beaver across the road have it flooded up bad and there are at least 2 colony’s working the area.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

We got skunked again ! Not one beaver caught. WTF !

wishinone
    Participant

Hopefully you guys will have one or two to show us tomorrow morning.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Had a beaver trap sprung this morning. It was a leghold on a drowner. Trap was pulled half way down the wire, but no beaver. Also had a 110 sprung on state land in a bank hole.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Had two traps set off yesterday. One was a 330 and the other was a fox set. Word of advice, dont set traps under apple trees

wishinone
    Participant

You can set there but just be sure and have your trap close to the tree trunk to avoid deer hoofs.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Well I had it up against a log

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Well I have few beaver traps out, but I think Im going to pull them and call it quits for the season. Focusing now on deer hunting then hopefully ice fishing.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.