Turkeys 2016

Home Forums Turkey Hunting Turkeys 2016

This topic contains 45 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wishinone June 15, 2016 at 6:37 pm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 46 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

Season is still two months away so I haven’t been thinking about it until I met a guy at the infusion center this past Tuesday. This is the second time I’ve seen him there but the first time talking to him, we had a CT state trooper hunting hogs in Texas and he was killed by another hunter. The trooper lived pretty close to me and this guy knew his whole family. Anyway that lead him asking me if I turkey hunted and I said yes then he said he’s seen 28 birds on his property. The drugs got the best of me/us and I never asked for permission but I’ll be damn sure to ask the next time I go for treatment if he’s there also again.

wishinone
    Participant

The wind was kicking ass when I went to go fishing this afternoon, as I was driving past a farm in a low spot near a stream there was three gobblers strutting to hens all three were missing tail feathers so I guess the competition was pretty severe. Saw some more in a field on the way home plus one strutting in the middle of the road by a tree farm a mile or so from home. Two weeks and two days before the season starts here.

wishinone
    Participant

Woke up early so decided to go listen for gobbling, night was crystal clear letting the temp go below freezing once again. Only heard one bird far off so drove around area checking out fields and saw nothing. Last year I scouted same area and heard nothing but when the season opened the birds were there not gobbling until well after sunrise.

wishinone
    Participant

Saw same three gobblers on the way home from fishing this morning, they picked up a few more hens from a few days ago. Closer to home I look into the woods and a huge gobbler is standing with two hens, seems to me the birds are bigger this year probably due to the mild winter.

wishinone
    Participant

Rode around the block after fishing this morning and only saw one gobbler walking across a clear cut area. When I got to the area I’ll be hunting on Wednesday I look out and see four gobblers strutting around a farms fenced in chickens, guess there must have been a hen turkey or two in the pen for all those boys to be hanging around.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Have not heard one gobble, but they are around. Very cool today. Had to turn the stove back on.

wishinone
    Participant

Opening day in CT, up at 3:30 and in the parking lot at 4:40 where one guy was there ahead of me. He said he roosted one last night so I headed the other way which is where I wanted to go anyway. With a half moon it was easy to see the main trail but when I went off of it I kept walking into branches so decided to wait for it to get lighter. An owl started to call near by but nothing replied, as it got lighter I heard a hen yelping over the hill. I went up a bit and set up my blind then started calling nothing, six o’clock came then seven o’clock not one gobble or shot heard. Finally 7:30 a shot goes off then three more in the next ten minutes but nothing near by. At 8:00 I hear a jake gobble behind me so I turn around to watch that area, a few minutes later a gobble comes from down the hill then the bird cuts to my left. I call again and the bird answers then two are gobbling together so I cut like hell on the call and they go crazy, soon I see them running so I get the gun up. Like a kid I start to shake, I see the birds coming but can’t pick them up in the scope I close my eyes and take a breath and the birds are at 24 yards I fire the first one rolls over I aim at the second and my bird is up and running so I take a second shot and put him down as the other bird flys away. I believe my heaviest gobbler in years of turkey hunting 21 pounds plus, 1 inch spurs and beard over ten inches.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Good deal. Thats how you do it.

wishinone
    Participant

Left my blind out so back to same spot this morning, as last year not one other hunter in the parking lot on the second day. Heard one gobble around 5:30 several hundred yards away, I was calling every 15 minutes or so and around 6 AM I hear running from the direction of the gobble but I see a grey blur and a coyote jumps the wall to get my decoy a load of #5 shot ended that. Stayed until after 10 without seeing or hearing anything else.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Damn coyotes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.