Turkeys 2016

Home Forums Turkey Hunting Turkeys 2016

This topic contains 45 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wishinone June 15, 2016 at 6:37 pm.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 46 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

Ready to go and when I step outside it’s raining, never had any luck in the rain so will have to wait until next week to get out again. Calling for heavy rain Monday and Tuesday, that sucks.

wishinone
    Participant

Tried to go back to bed but couldn’t sleep so went on the computer, the dog got the wife up soon after and wanted to go out. Ten minutes they’re back in and wife said maybe I don’t know what a gobbler sounds like but I think one is behind the house. Outside I go and sure enough one is sounding off over the hill. I run to the truck and grab my vest and seat then go downstairs and gear up, I head up the hill and wait soon I pin where he is and I go another 50 yards and set up then let some yelps fly. Nothing, all of a sudden somewhere behind me one gobbles, I stand my ground looking for the first bird. After ten minutes I see a bird moving at 3 o’clock it hits the trail and heads right in without a sound, I have the gun up and as he comes through the opening in the stone wall I let fly a load of 5 shot and the birds looks turns and walks over the hill. I’m guessing I shot over his head as he was within 20 yards, a fun morning even though I missed.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

OMG now thats funny, but Id be cursing

wishinone
    Participant

I was, but when I went through it in my head I aimed for the top of his head instead of the base of his neck, as you know not the first time I’ve done that.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Very bad start to my spring 2016 turkey season. Yesterday I spent all day scouting only to see several hens all alone in different areas. The only birds I saw strutting was 3 jakes with a group of hens. So this morning I went to get the 20 gauge knowing I had a box of shells for it. No 20 gauge! The kid must have it cuz it aint here. So I said fine I’ll just use the 3″ 12 gauge which is really too heavy to carry around but it will do. Guess what? No ammo for the 3″12 gauge. Only BB’s for geese. So now Im down to my old 2 3/4 12 gauge but I have not bought ammo for that gun in over 10 years. Thank god I was able to dig up 4 turkey shells for that gun. So I only got 4 shells but thats plenty for now. So I go out to start car for wife who is on way to work. I now learn the rain that was suppose to be here later in the morning has arrived and is coming down pretty good. Ugh!

wishinone
    Participant

Rain suppose to be here by noon, no Sunday hunting so doesn’t matter, what does matter is they are calling for rain four out of the next five days. I would like to tag out my last year here, some of the guys in a CT forum I belong to have three gobblers all ready.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Well this morning is a total bust too. Wet, soggy just miserable. No turkey hunting today. Leaves on the trees are just starting to show sign of budding, some ahead of others. if you 1/2 hour south you see it a lot more. Damn punkies are out though!

Took a drive around the block last night just before fly up time. Could only find a small flock of hens all alone on the back side of the hill in a field. An area I cant hunt anyway. I could drive 1/2 mile though without seeing a deer. Some fields were loaded with them! Should be a good fawn dropping season. If the winters are not too severe in the next couple of years, we should be back to normal in buck takes along with high success doe takes.

wishinone
    Participant

Woke up about 4:20 and checked outside, rain fell last night and was dripping off the trees so checked the computer radar and no rain showing in CT but will rain later. Grabbed a cup of coffee and a piece of banana bread then got dressed and grabbed my shotgun and headed to the truck. Already legal shooting time when I got to state land, again no one else there, so I geared up and listened. Son of a gun two gobblers go off over the hill and I hear two down toward the valley, I head to where I got the one opening day. Planning to run and gun so had no blind, did a bit of calling and waited, about ten minutes later one I walked by fly’s down and is spitting and drumming behind my right side, can’t move and bird walks off without a gobble. I work my way around calling now and then but no replies, the trail splits and I turn left, after going 25 yards one sounds off down the other trail I make my way back and head down towards the gobbling tom. I get close and he’s pounding back but not coming, then I hear yelping and the real girls pull him away and all is quite again. I ended up walking miles trying to get back to the main trail, first the trail turns into a swamp and beaver have moved in and flooded the area, when I get to where I wanted to go about 45 minutes later I get another bird to shock gobble several times but he didn’t want to play so I made my way back to the truck and home.

wishinone
    Participant

Guy I know at a CT forum got this footage of a nice gobbler destroying his decoy, it even broke the stake, this is the second time this decoy got beat in three days.

Tomdestroysmydecoy2016

Tom Destroys my Jake Decoy – I had 9 minutes of video as this big old Longbeard put the stomp on my AvianX jake decoy. This was the second time in 3 days this decoy took a beating. Day one, both toms died.

wishinone
    Participant

Just watched video of a guy calling for his cousin here in CT, dropped three gobblers out of two groups that came from opposite sides of a field. Made for a short season for him.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.