Turkeys 2016

Home Forums Turkey Hunting Turkeys 2016

This topic contains 45 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wishinone June 15, 2016 at 6:37 pm.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Author

wishinone
    Participant

Going to put up my blind tomorrow afternoon where I killed bird opening day, Monday is suppose to be clear and sunny will be first time in over a week.

wishinone
    Participant

Had to wait for the rain to end before I could head to the woods, rain stops sun comes out and so do the black flys and skeeters. Where I saw two gobblers in yard a few days ago there are three sitting facing out around some kind of a bush in the yard. They were gone when I came by again on the way home but I saw two down the road strutting in a cut corn field, don’t know if two of the same birds or different ones.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Good luck this morning. If ya get a big one put it in the freezer and bring it with you this weekend.

wishinone
    Participant

If I get lucky I will, saw one in the middle of town the other day SOB was huge had to weigh close to 25 pounds.

wishinone
    Participant

Freaking lying weatherman, was suppose to be a clear night and sunny today, it was overcast as hell and the sun didn’t pop out until a half hour or so ago. Didn’t hear a thing, the crows didn’t start until after 7:30, around six I looked up and a coyote was standing on the stone wall checking out my decoy. It didn’t like what it saw and headed away from me. Going fishing tomorrow, will try for turkeys again on Wednesday.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Frosty morning, brrrrrr

wishinone
    Participant

Finally a clear night with stars shining, heard two gobblers far off as I made my way to my blind, crows were carrying on at 5:15. I catch movement and watch deer work down the hill and out of sight, then I call every 15 minutes or so and wait. I sitting in my chair and I hear a noise, my butt shifts a bit before I realize the seat is ripping and in a second or two I’m flat on my back. I push myself up and even with just a short fall my back is hurting I say to myself no way I can hunt like this so I get out retrieve the decoy and pull the blind down. I put my turkey vest on and am reaching for the blind bag when I hear a gobble from down the hill, I find a good tree then call, he’s moved to my left and gobbles to my calling. He is gobbling pretty steady but not coming so I take a metal pot call and cut hard, he replies back and is on the way and I have the shotgun up and ready. He’s quite for a few minutes and I see him working up the hill 60-70 yards away I purr with the call he gobbles back and heads back down the hill when he’s out of sight I cluck twice and he’s coming toward me now. Of course he had to go up hill some more and he comes over the stone wall to far to my left, I try to adjust and get the scope on him but he sees me move and starts putting, he’s on the move and I try to get ahead of him and fire but was probably too far back of him as he jumps over the wall and putts his way out of sight. If the damn chair didn’t tear I would have been in the blind and should have had him but turkey hunting seldom works out the way you plan.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Went out for a few hours yesterday morning. Couldn’t get a gobble from nowhere. been seeing turkeys while driving around but seems hens are with hens and toms are with toms now. I wonder if the 2 or 3 hens that were hanging around the house earlier this month are nesting now, because I haven’t seen them in weeks.

In other news goose goslings are hatching already in my area.

wishinone
    Participant

Geese hatched here two weeks ago, guy in CT forum had gobblers coming in Wednesday and guy walked his dog right by his blind talking on his cellphone and spooked them. On his way home a hen with 8 or more poults ran across the road in front of him.

FNW Staff
    Keymaster

Was thinking about going out this morning but never got my ass up. Cloudy now with maybe some rain on the way. Sat outside last night to see maybe there was chance to hear one roost up. Notta nothing.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.